Since its release, SkyTrak has been the most popular home golf simulator among recreational golfers. And that's why we decided to write an honest SkyTrak golf simulator review.
SkyTrak golf simulator allows you to get the accuracy of the expensive commercial products such as Foresight and Trackman but for a fraction of the cost.
In addition to the accuracy, SkyTrak has several software options and each offer different game modes and features making it a perfect choice for golfers looking to have an affordable home simulator.
With SkyTrak, golfers can practice their golf skills on some of the world's most famous golf courses. It also provides a ball flight simulation that is of commercial quality to reflect the player's actual performance allowing them to improve their golf game.
In this SkyTrak review article, we will review a few of the SkyTrak Golf simulators across a range of different prices and provide information in the buying guide so that you purchase the best SkyTrak golf simulator for your needs.
SkyTrak Review - Which Simulator Is The Best
1. SkyTrak Compact Golf Simulator
2. SkyTrak Launch Monitor
3. SkyTrak SwingBay Simulator
4. SkyTrak Practice Golf Simulator
5. SkyTrak SIG8 Simulator
1. SkyTrak Compact Golf Simulator Package
The SkyTrak Compact Golf Simulator is suitable for golfers who have a small amount of space but want to experience the best simulation. This package is a compact series that combines a SkyTrak Launch Monitor with a compact and a simulator screen to provide the perfect simulation.
The SkyTrak Compact Golf Simulator also features all the shot and ball data that you may need including clubhead speed, ball speed, distance, launch angle, side spin and more.
The software setup of the Skytrak Compact Golf Simulator follows the same setup steps as the majority of SkyTrak simulator products. This includes:
- Charging the SkyTrak for at least 6 hours before using
- Downloading the SkyTrak to your preferred device (iOS or Android)
- Signing up to SkyTrak Golf by creating a profile
- Using a Wifi connection to pair the SkyTrak with your device
- Connecting the SkyTrak to the projector with either an HDMI cable, Apple Airplay or an HDMI adapter
What’s Included In The Package
The SkyTrak Compact Golf Simulator comes with a Series Screen and Enclosure which is ideal for compact spaces. The floating design of the screen allows it to eliminate bounce back, handle the hardest shots and increasing the life of the screen. The design is also safe and secure due to the rugged and lightweight tubular construction of the entire bay.
The Landing Pad Turf of the simulator keeps the balls from bouncing to the floors and offers suitable protection for the simulator bay.
The Optoma Short Throw Projector combines the right throw ratio and high lumens to fit the set up of your golf simulator. It gives a clear and crisp high-resolution image to bring your golf simulator to life. It is also affordable and high quality.
SkyTrak Compact Golf Simulator Pros
- Amazing portability.
- Very easy to use.
- Excellent features for game improvement.
- Incredible accuracy.
2. SkyTrak Launch Monitor Simulator
SkyTrak Launch Monitor Review
The SkyTrak Launch Monitor & Simulator Software allows you to improve your golf game due to the incredible accuracy of the launch monitor, which has similar accuracy levels to premium launch monitors.
The core features of the production include are that it can accurately and display the vital launch and ball flight data from your swing, giving you access to information that can improve your swing and shot accuracy.
The SkyTrak Launch Monitor & Simulator Software is not only a launch monitor but also contains simulation software, allowing players to have a virtual round of golf on some of the world's most famous courses.
The set-up SkyTrak Launch Monitor & Simulator Software follows the same requirements as any SkyTrak product. These steps include:
- Charging your SkyTrak for at least 6 hours before first use
- Downloading the SkyTrak app on your device
- Registering and creating a SkyTrak account
- Connecting your SkyTrak to your device via wifi
What’s Included In The Package
The basic practice range plan is the cheapest plan which gives access to the SkyTrak launch monitor and software that gives ball performance data, 3D practice range and shot replay.
The game improvement plan gives access to all features of the basic plan as well as a wider range of course features such as weather conditions, target practice, skills assessment and progress tracking.
The premium range tee-off plan gives access to the full-range of SkyTrak simulation software. This includes access to 11 of the world’s most famous courses on the simulation, such as St Andrews, Royal St Georges and Kiawah Island.
SkyTrak Launch Monitor Pros
- Fantastic value for money
- Easy to set up and use
- Fun software
- Range of purchasing options
3. SkyTrak SwingBay Golf Simulator
The SkyTrak SwingBay Golf Simulator Screen & Enclosure is widely regarded as one of the best indoor golf simulators with a hitting bay currently on the market. Based on feedback from hundreds of customers, SwingBay custom-built this product to satisfy the needs of golf simulator users.
The product includes a large duty projector screen that can withstand the impact of a golf ball as well as a framing system that is easy to assemble. The SkyTrak SwingBay Golf Simulator Screen & Enclosure can easily be erected in a basement or garage, making it one of the most sought-after indoor golf simulators currently on the market.
For the SkyTrak SwingBay Golf Simulator Screen & Enclosure to assembled safely in your house, you need to ensure the minimum space requirements are met, these 9' high x 12' wide x 16' deep. A good practice tip to know the space is sufficient is to take a slow backswing of your driver.
To set-up the SkyTrak, you need to:
- Charge the device for 6 hours before first use
- Download the SkyTrak app on your device
- Create a profile on the SkyTrak app
- Connect the SkyTrak to your device through wifi
What’s Included In The Package
The purchasing package includes all the essential golf simulation items, including the SkyTrak launch monitor, SwingBay screen and enclosure, hitting mat, landing surface and projector. The deep framing system is 8’ tall x 10’5’ wide x 4’8’, while the high-quality simulator screen is 7’3’ tall x 9’8’ wide. This frame also includes a side and upper walls and is built to cope with endless amounts of golf shots up to 250mph.
SkyTrak SwingBay Golf Simulator Pros
- Easy to assemble
- Suitable for most garages or basements
- At minimum provides an indoor golf practice facility
- Can handle thousands of high-speed golf shots
4. SkyTrak Practice Golf Simulator Package
The SkyTrak Practice Golf Simulator Package is an affordable golf simulation package that provides access to the SkyTrak launch monitor to enable you to practice your game at home. This package is more affordable as there is no screen or monitor setup, as you simply hit the golf ball into a net.
The Net Return Pro Series V2 is a premium range product constructed with heavy-duty netting material that can withstand over shots at 225mph. The 1.5” tubular aluminium frame is strong and easy to assemble.
The SkyTrak launch monitor provides access to a vast range of data to improve your game, including ball speed, launch trajectory, distance and spin.
Assembling the Net Return Pro Series V2 is straightforward and should take less than an hour to fully assemble. The quick assembling of the net ensures the product is portable and can be easily moved around the house. Setting up the SkyTrak launch monitor also requires a few simple steps:
- Charging the launch monitor for a minimum of 6 hours
- Downloading the SkyTrak app to your device
- Registering an account with SkyTrak
- Connecting the SkyTrak with your device via wifi
What’s Included In The Package
The SkyTrak Practice Golf Simulator Package is a basic practice package which includes access to the SkyTrak launch monitor, in addition, the package includes:
- Net Return Pro Series V2
- Game Improvement Software
- Pro Turf Hitting Mat
- Pro-Series Side Barriers
This affordable package provides you with the capability of practising your golf shots at home while accessing all the important launch and hitting data through the SkyTrak software.
SkyTrak Practice Golf Simulator Pros
- Affordably priced
- Access to full-range of SkyTrak software
- Easy to assemble at home
5. SkyTrak SIG8 Golf Simulator Package
The SkyTrak Sig8 Golf Simulator Package is a medium-range package which provides access to the SkyTrak launch monitor and accompanying data analysis capability. The lower price point for this package is due to the 8" widescreen option, which is smaller than more premium packages.
For most, however, this screen size is more than adequate ad requires a smaller space in your home to be assembled. The SkyTrak Sig8 Golf Simulator Package offers a great range of equipment, leaving you fully set to create your home golf studio.
The SkyTrak Play & Improve software is a fantastic addition to this package, allowing interactive simulation of some of the world’s most renowned golf courses.
The set-up required for the SkyTrak Sig8 Golf Simulator Package is easy. Simply find the space you want to assemble the screen and net, which is 12”h x 12”w x 9”d, and start to assemble the easy build the net studio and side netting.
To set-up the SkyTrak, simply do the following:
- Charge the device for a minimum of 6 hours
- Download the SkyTrak app on your device (iPad, Android or PC)
- Create a profile on the SkyTrak app
- Connect using wifi
What’s Included In The Package
This is package includes all essential items required for you to begin a home golf simulation experience, this includes:
- SkyTrak device, protective case
- SkyTrak Play and Improve Software
- Net Studi
- Side Barrier Netting
- Pro Turf Matting
- Optoma HD Projector & Mount
- 25’L HDMI Cable & Lightning Cable Adaptor
- Access to SkyTrak User Manual
SkyTrak SIG8 Golf Simulator Pros
- Access to SkyTrak’s innovative Play and Improve Software
- Affordably priced
- The smaller screen allows it to fit more easily inside a home
- Perfectly suited to dedicated golfers who want access to data analytics
Top Reasons To Buy SkyTrak Golf Simulator For Your Home
The following are some of the reasons to get a SkyTrak golf simulator for your home:
- Affordability – the price range of SkyTrak golf simulator makes it's affordable and provides similar accuracy and realistic results compared to other expensive golf simulators.
- Accuracy – compared to other expensive golf simulators, SkyTrak holds its accuracy and will stay within one to two yards of the launch monitor accuracy.
- Reliability – you do not have to spend time messing with the set-up of SkyTrak golf simulator. It takes about 3 minutes to power this golf simulator and you are ready to play some golf.
- Versatility – at its price point, SkyTrak golf simulator can be set-up both indoors and outdoors without any difficulty.
Data Accuracy And What Data Points Does SkyTrak Provide
The accuracy of SkyTrak has been proven to have excellent results against the leading commercial launch monitors for all the 5 data parameters measured. Compared to other outdoor launch monitors, SkyTrak ball flight is not affected by atmospheric conditions such as wind except when selected in settings.
The results of the ball flight model have been comparable when tested through human and robot hit-testing for offline and carry/total distances. SkyTrak is very accurate and offers realistic depiction for actual ball flight close to that of real-world results and other launch monitors.
SkyTrak golf simulator can measure the following launch data parameters:
- Launch angle
- Ball speed
- Side angle
SkyTrak software is also able to provide the following:
- Carry/Total Distance
- Flight Path
- Club Head Speed
- The angle of Descent.
What Kind Of Player Is The SkyTrak Best For?
Golf simulators are an investment to make, therefore you should consider the level of golf skills you have before committing.
Cheaper SkyTrak golf simulator can be used new and inexperienced golfers to practice their skills. This will also give you time to decide whether you like golfing or not without spending a lot of money.
However, if you are an experienced golfer, you can purchase a premium golf simulator to enhance and improve your game. Premium simulators will have more features and golf courses that you can play in.
How Much Space Do I Need For A SkyTrak Simulator?
For you to have enough space for your SkyTrak golf simulator, consider the size of your golf club. If you can swing your golf club, then space is enough. This gives SkyTrak golf simulator an advantage over other professional simulators that require more space.
Also, consider your height to determine the height of the ceiling. You do not want a situation where you have to bend while playing. This will allow you to freely swing the driver in the room and enjoy your indoor golfing experience.
A recommended size for the room that you want to set up the SkyTrak golf simulator is 10 feet wide and 9 feet high. With all that being said, ensure that you keep a safe distance from the golf mat and net.
SkyTrak Set-Up And Cost
You can easily set up your SkyTrak at home once you have purchased it. It comes with a SkyTrak launch monitor, a USB cable, a wall charger, a QuickStart and Product & Safety Information Guide and a WGT Golf Software Access Card (if purchased).
The following are the steps to set-up your SkyTrak:
- Charge your SkyTrak by connecting it using the Micro-USB charging cable to a socket. Makes sure it charges for at least 6 hours before its first use. When fully charged the LED light will turn off.
- Down load the SkyTrak app to your device. For iOS users, download the app in the Apple App Store, for Android users download it in the Google Play Store and for PC users it is compatible with windows 7, 8 or 10.
- Register your SkyTrak by signing up and following the steps indicated.
- Pair your SkyTrak with your device, either iPad or PC.
- Finally, connect the SkyTrak to the projector.
The price range for SkyTrak golf simulators is between $4,699 and $7,799 and includes a quality projector and a screen. The bigger cost driver is the quality and size of the impact screen and enclosure.
SkyTrak Software And Compatibility
You need to know your preferred operating system for your SkyTrak, whether Windows, iOS or Android. This will determine the type of software you will use. For example, if you are using iOS, WGT runs on it and you can use a tablet for it. However, there are many options when using a PC and they include E6 Golf, The Golf Club and Creative Golf 3D.
It is not recommended to rely on an Android device for SkyTrak golf simulator because most of the software options do not support it. If you want more options, use a PC. Ensure that the software you want to use is compatible with your device and ensure that your device meets the minimum system requirements.
Some software may be demanding in terms of resources needed while others may not be. If you are not sure of the compatibility of your device with the software, check with the dealer before purchasing SkyTrak.
Connecting The SkyTrak To A Projector
There are a few different ways of connecting your SkyTrak to the projector. This will depend on whether you are using an iPad of a PC.
Connecting when using an iPad
- Use an HDMI cable with a Lightning Digital AV Adapter to connect your iPad directly to the projector or TV.
- Use an Apple TV or any other Airplay capable device. On your iPad, open the control center and select Airplay. Then choose Apple TV and the iPad display will be transferred to the projector or TV.
Connecting when using a PC
- Use an HDMI cable to connect your projector or TV from the PC.
SkyTrak Golf Simulator Maintenance
The following tips will help you take good care of your SkyTrak golf simulator:
- To protect the accuracy of your golf simulator, ensure that the lens is free from scratches and always clean.
- Use a damp cloth to clean the lens surface and avoid using any chemical cleaners.
- It is recommended that when you purchase your SkyTrak golf simulator, also purchase SkyTrak Protective case for your unit.
- Before powering down the unit, always wait for your SkyTrak golf simulator to finish syncing.
- Avoid exposing your SkyTrak unit to wet conditions or extreme temperatures as it can be damaged.
- Try to never hit your SkyTrak unit with a golf ball or club or drop it.
- For your golf simulator to work well, make sure that you know all the compatible devices that you need to use with your SkyTrak.
- Every time before using your SkyTrak, ensure that it is fully charged.
Can I Use The SkyTrak Outdoors?
SkyTrak golf simulators can either be used indoors or outdoors depending on what you need. When playing indoors ensure that you have enough space to swing your golf club. However, if playing indoors is getting boring for you, you can take your SkyTrak unit out in your driveway or backyard.
You will get around four hours of continuous playing before the battery goes off. It is important to note that when the SkyTrak unit is used in the outdoors, the figures may be affected slightly by extremes in dark or light or even when the sun shines directly into the lens of the camera.
Before playing outdoors ensure that the golf ball you want to play with is clean and in good condition because if you use dirty, old and damaged golf balls the numbers may not be accurate.
Can I Use Real Golf Balls With My SkyTrak Simulator?
Yes, you can use your real golf balls to play with your SkyTrak simulator. This is because the frame and the net that comes with the SkyTrak simulator are strong enough to handle the hit and the speed of 250mph. The netting and frame can also handle up to 250 shots.
However, a logo golf ball is recommended because more wording or marks will make it easier for the launch monitor to read the ball. This will also reduce the number of no reads or misreads when using a launch monitor.
Does The SkyTrak Work Without A Connection?
You can use your SkyTrak golf simulator without an internet connection as long as you already have them set up in your device. You can connect the SkyTrak unit directly to your device and the next time it connects to the internet, all the data will sync to your SkyTrak account.
You can use Wi-Fi connection when you do not have internet access by powering the SkyTrak unit, go to the Wi-Fi settings in your device and select a Wi-Fi network that begins with ‘SKYTRAK’ and then open the SkyTrak app and follow the opening set-up screens.
Final Words: Is SkyTrak Golf Simulator Worth It?
SkyTrak’s launch monitor and software are available in a wide variety of golf simulation purchasing packages.
Evidence from the SkyTrak golf simulator review and buying guides demonstrates that purchasing a SkyTrak Golf Simulator is worth it. Hopefully, this article has gone some way to helping you decide the best package in which you can access SkyTrak equipment, to suit your golfing needs.
Our verdict on the best purchasing option for SkyTrak equipment is the SkyTrak Compact Golf Simulator Package, available at an affordable price and includes the very best of SkyTrak’s software, enabling players to access to ball flight, speed and distance data, as well as playing on simulated golf courses.
When purchasing a golf simulation package which includes SkyTrak hardware and software, do research online for a variety of purchasing options as the equipment can be very affordable if you find the right purchasing option. SkyTrak is certainly one of the best options for improving your golf game from the comfort of your own home.